Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Exes and Oh No's!

After I watched "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" on an unseasonably cold and rainy summer night, it occurred to me - "Don't we all have to defeat evil exes?"

The concept of the movie is based on Bryan Lee O'Malley’s graphic novel series, where Scott Pilgrim falls for Ramona Flowers, and then has to defeat her seven evil exes in order to move forward with her.

And isn't that the trick? In order to advance personal relationships, we have to figure out how to move past those evil exes blocking the way.

I've got three. One was Suffocation Central. One was Mr. Wrong - he couldn't understand me and made me feel like I was Ms. Wrong because I didn't fit the mold he made for me. One was my Soulmate.

But not in that romcom definition, but in the "Eat, Pray, Love" definition - a person who breaks you down, teaches you what you're missing, then leaves. The soulmate is often the hardest one to get over because for a hot second, you see what you really need and they make you think you can find it with them.

So how do we get over these evil exes? What if we don't have our own Scott Pilgrim to fight for us? What if we built the walls too high for even Scott Pilgrim to get through? What if we don't want a Scott Pilgrim fighting our battles for us?

And there it is - the first step to defeating the evil exes is knowing that it's you who has to get past them first.

© Coffee Fairy

No comments:

Post a Comment