Monday, August 23, 2010

An Arrow of Carnations, Between the Shadow and the Soul

I had a run-in with the Soulmate. It's usually at coffee shops; I'm sure you're not surprised!

"I have to tell you a story," Soulmate said.

He always did have a fine way of startling me with his non sequitur-like actions.

Soulmate put his arms around me and hugged me. Normally I would have been thrilled. But instead, I found myself trying to maneuver around him. He tightened his arms around me.

My mind went into panic mode for a few seconds, trying to find my way out of this potentially sticky situation. It reminded me of when I was little, with the feral cat who used to hang out around our house. I coaxed him into the house one day and he flipped out, banging into walls and glass doors, trying to find a way out.

Like the cat bumping into walls, I kept on bumping against Soulmate's arm, looking for the weak spot that would give way so I could escape. All the while, Soulmate is uttering sweet nothings - "I miss you and I love you and you could just call me sometime and .... ok."

His sweet nothings might have turned into sweet somethings except they trailed off because I dodged the advances and walked away, the "and .... ok" ringing in my ears for days afterward.

The next exchange I had with the Soulmate was a mix of springy elevation and wintry groundedness. He told me that sometimes, he just wants to see me and talk. I felt like I was hearing a line.

"But you're never there," Soulmate said.

"Wait, what?" I said. "You drive by my apartment?"

In the four second pause that passed, I saw panic in his eyes, like I had trapped him, just like he had trapped me outside the coffee shop.

"Sometimes," he said.

My insides turned mushy and I felt myself being lifted on this euphoric wave. It was like this little green daffodil shoot had poked its way out of the hard ground.

Hope sprang eternal because the man drove by my apartment!

But then I came crashing back to reality; he was probably only giving me a line.

"You drive by my apartment," I repeated. "No you don't."

And I slammed my hand down on the green daffodil shoot and pushed it back into the ground.

© Coffee Fairy

No comments:

Post a Comment